Single Grand Parenting Can Be Exhausting


I have three granddaughters and one on the way. They are the joys of my life. Abby, who is nine, came up for a week in the middle of July. We had such fun going to the movies, crafting, reading, and swimming.

I had both Abby and her sister Savy, age five, come up for four days during the first week of August. Two is so much more than one! They are quite well-behaved. I also had an extra dog, Lilah, whom I was dog sitting. The first day we got up to Munds Park in time to go swimming. Savy insisted on applying her own sunscreen.

Savy and sun block

Since they are both excellent swimmers, it was an easy task to keep an eye on them. I didn’t even have to wear a bathing suit. Good thing, because I put all my suits in one place at the end of last summer and I have no idea where that place is.

Their food choices and mine overlap just a little. I made cheese crisps for dinner with celery and strawberries and cherries on the side.

My dogs usually wake up about 5 or 5:30 in the morning. Lilah had spent the night with Abby and Sparky and Louie were with me and Savy in the queen-sized bed. Alas the dogs did not sleep any later than usual. Abby is allowed to stay behind, but Savy had to accompany me on the morning walks. Abby got up too, concerned about missing out on some fun. The girls were thrilled to meet a ginger cat on our walk. The cat was not afraid of them or the dogs. We played with the cat for a while and then continued on our way.

Tuesday mornings are when my writing group meets. Vie Armour was hosting, and she had a room set up for grandchildren, so the girls were content to watch movies and do puzzles.

They were able to get in a short swim before the siren went off. Savy was super freaked out! I comforted her and she calmed down. We all took showers and then it was off to Joann Anderson’s to make peanut butter and chocolate fudge.


Making fudge with joannThey enjoyed the afternoon, especially petting her three cats. Unfortunately, we forgot to take the fudge down to the valley so I am stuck eating it all.

After making fudge, we headed to Flagstaff to shop. Our first stop was Old Navy where I used coupons and discounts to buy them quite a few outfits. They chose matching dresses, too.


It was raining very hard but we managed to go to their favorite store: The Dollar Store. We spent quite a bit of time there and I spent sixty dollars! Ten of that was my stuff. They were thrilled with the scarfs, headbands, pens, flashlights, Chinese lanterns, cups to put in the freezer to cool drinks, and much more. That night they tried on the ladybug headband, broke out their light sticks and bubbles, and Savy fooled around with her flashlight.

The next morning. I took time to drink my tea and read the newspapers. Mr. Hotstuff joined me on my porch. The girls amused themselves. Abby made flowers on the top of pens using brightly colored duct tape we’d bought the day before at the Dollar Store. Savy colored in a giant portrait of Tatiana, one of the Disney princesses. Abby made a frame from duct tape and put it up on the guest room wall.

We drove down to Cliff Castle Casino and bowled. From 9:30-11:30 on weekday mornings it’s only $1.50 a game and $1.00 for shoe rentals. We played three games. Abby won one game and Mr. Hotstuff won two. We splurged on lunch and milkshakes at Johnny Rockets and then stopped by a farm to get corn.

I managed to trip on my way into the house. I was bleeding on my arm, hand and maybe my knees. I elected to jump in the shower and wash off the dirt and pebbles. Mr. Hotstuff was kind enough to stick around to see if I was hurt enough to go to an Urgent Care Center. I wasn’t.

The rest of the afternoon Abby, Savy, and I vegged out. We’d been going full speed for several days and it was time to rest. We did go to Patio in the Pines for dinner and watched the rain.

On Thursday morning we packed and picked up the cabin. I was hosting my book club at ten. I loaded my car with all of our gear and delivered Abby and Savy to Joan Roff’s house. They love her and enjoy spending time there. I rushed back to set up for the meeting.

After we finished discussing The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende, I straightened up. A neighbor from the valley was staying at my cabin for the weekend while I went back to Scottsdale. I corralled the three dogs into the car before picking up the girls from Joan’s.

As we started down the mountain, disaster struck. One of the DVD players died so they had to share one. Abby and Savy had been on vacation with their parents for the ten days before I picked them up. So now it was two weeks of being with each other 24/7. There was bickering, crying, horseplay, and laughing all the way home. Of course we had to stop at McDonald’s for lunch and a bathroom break and for gas. I’ll admit I was relieved when the movie we were going to see wasn’t playing at a convenient time. I met my son Nick at Desert Ridge to deliver the girls.

It was a wonderful four days but I was mentally and physically exhausted even though Abby and Savy are very well behaved and able to amuse themselves for long periods of time. If I was married, there would have been another grandparent to share the joy and lavish attention on both girls at one time. But then again, I’m not sure I want to share my granddaughters full time. There’s such a short period in their lives when they’re thrilled to be with Granny Annie. Bu I do hope to have each one up for a week next summer, separately, and a few days of them together.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: